When choosing a combo amp for bass, one of the key decisions you will need to make is whether to get a 1×12 or 2×12 model. The number refers to the number of 12-inch speakers in the amp.
1×12 Combo Amps
1×12 combo amps are more compact and portable than 2×12 combo amps. They are also generally less expensive. However, they may not be as loud or have as deep bass response as 2×12 combo amps.
2×12 Combo Amps
2×12 combo amps are louder and have deeper bass response than 1×12 combo amps. They can also handle more power. However, they are larger and heavier, and they are generally more expensive.
Which is Better?
The best choice for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are looking for a portable and affordable combo amp, a 1×12 model is a good option. If you need a combo amp that is loud and has deep bass response, a 2×12 model is a better choice.
Here are some additional things to consider when choosing between a 1×12 and 2×12 combo amp:
- The type of music you play. If you play in a band that plays heavy music, such as metal or rock, you may want to choose a 2×12 combo amp for its louder volume and deeper bass response. If you play in a band that plays lighter music, such as jazz or funk, a 1×12 combo amp may be sufficient.
- The size of the venues you play in. If you play in small venues, a 1×12 combo amp may be loud enough. If you play in large venues, you may need a 2×12 combo amp to be heard.
- Your budget. 1×12 combo amps are generally less expensive than 2×12 combo amps.
In addition to the factors listed above, there are a few other things to consider when choosing a bass combo amp:
- The power of the amp. Bass amps typically range in power from 100 watts to 1000 watts or more. Choose an amp with enough power for the size of the venues you play in and the volume of the other instruments in your band.
- The features of the amp. Some bass combo amps come with features such as equalization, effects loops, and direct outs. Consider which features are important to you and choose an amp that has them.
- The sound of the amp. Different bass amps have different sounds. Try out different amps to find one that you like the sound of.
The best way to decide which type of bass combo amp is right for you is to try them out and see what sounds best to you. You can also ask other bassists for their recommendations.