Headphones can be a great way to enjoy your music or other audio content without disturbing others. However, not all headphones are created equal when it comes to blocking out external noise. If you’re looking for a way to make your headphones block more sound, there are a few things you can do.
Choose the right type of headphones
The first step is to choose the right type of headphones for your needs. There are two main types of headphones: passive noise-canceling (PNC) and active noise-canceling (ANC).
- Passive noise-canceling headphones block out sound by creating a physical barrier between your ears and the external environment. This is typically done using thick ear cups and ear pads.
- Active noise-canceling headphones use microphones to pick up external noise and then create an anti-noise signal to cancel it out. This is a more effective way to block out noise than passive noise cancellation, but it is also more expensive.
If you’re looking for the best possible noise cancellation, you’ll want to choose a pair of ANC headphones. However, if you’re on a budget, PNC headphones can still be a good option.
Get a good fit
Another important factor is to make sure your headphones fit well. Headphones that don’t fit snugly will let in more external noise. When choosing headphones, be sure to try on a few different pairs to find the ones that fit most comfortably and securely.
Upgrade your ear pads
If you have a pair of PNC headphones, you may be able to improve their noise cancellation performance by upgrading the ear pads. Many headphone manufacturers offer replacement ear pads that are designed to block out more noise.
Use foam earplugs
If you have a pair of headphones that don’t offer any noise cancellation, you can still improve their sound isolation by using foam earplugs. Simply insert the earplugs into your ears before putting on your headphones.
DIY noise-canceling headphones
If you’re on a tight budget, you can even make your own noise-canceling headphones. There are a number of tutorials available online that show you how to do this.
Here are a few other tips for making your headphones block sound:
- Play your music or audio content at a higher volume. This will help to mask external noise.
- Use an equalizer to boost the bass frequencies. Bass frequencies are less likely to be masked by external noise.
- If you’re using ANC headphones, make sure to turn on the noise cancellation feature.
- Avoid using your headphones in noisy environments. If you have to use them in a noisy environment, try to find a quiet spot where you can sit or stand.
By following these tips, you can make your headphones block more sound and enjoy your music or other audio content in peace.